Avnet Electronics Marketing - Community Forum

Avnet Inc.  |  Avnet Electronics Marketing

Visitor
aobeid

Virtex 5 Mini Module - USB Interface Host/Peripheral

Hi all

I've been recently experimenting with the USB Interface on Virtex-5 Mini Module XC5VFX70T.

Using ChipScope, I'm monitoring the interface signals (Next, Stop, DataDirection, Data) while connecting to a PC and in another case a USB Peripheral.

I'm fairly new to USB interface programming on FPGA.

Question:

- Could you please explain why I'm getting the same readings in both cases?

- Could you please point-out any reading material? (not for USB Protocol, but for XC5VFX70T application notes or white papers)

I don't require a core to implement USB stack, rather just to be able to monitor the difference when connecting to Host/Peripheral.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Best Regards

Ahmad Obeid

Please use plain text.
Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)
npoureh

Re: Virtex 5 Mini Module - USB Interface Host/Peripheral

The USB example design provided for this module on our web site supports Peripheral only (we  do not have a host example design). All Virtex-5 documentation can be found on Xilinx web site at http://www.xilinx.com/support/index.html/content/xilinx/en/supportNav/silicon_devices/fpga/virtex-5....

Please use plain text.
Visitor
aobeid

[ Edited ]

Hi Nasser

Thanks for your reply.

I've previously accessed these documents and example designs. As for the example design, it includes a ready made core that acts as a peripheral as you've mentioned.

Based on ChipScope readings, the Data Direction(DIR) signal of the USB interface is high whether I connect to a host(PC) or a peripheral(USB Stick). And in both cases, Data is x"00".

Question:

- Shouldn't there be a difference between the two connections?

Best Regards

Ahmad Obeid

Please use plain text.
npoureh

The DIR signal is an output from the ULPI PHY to the V5 device. I've attached the ULPI PHY datasheet for a description of the DIR signal.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
aobeid

Hi Nasser

I've partially read the ISP1504A1 datasheet. According to the datasheet, the DIR signal should change between LOW and HIGH.

Whether, I connect to a host or peripheral DIR is always HIGH which basically indicates that it has data to send to the link while Data is x"00".

Question:

- Shouldn't it differ between the two connections?

PS: I didn't get your attachment.

Please use plain text.
npoureh

Looks like the attachment didn't make it. Here it is (the part number is USB3300, just in case the attachment is removed again).

Please use plain text.
npoureh

When using the Avnet provided USB reference design with this module, you should see a direction change on the DIR signal depending on whether you are reading from the V5 module or writing to it. For example, if you open a file stored in the V5 module, you should see the DIR low. When writing to the V5 module (saving a file) you should see the DIR signal high.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
aobeid

Hi Nasser

Thus having similar values(Stop = 0, Next = 0, DataDirection = 1, Data = x"00") in both cases(Host, Peripheral), means that I'm required to write Data to the Host/Peripheral.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Furthermore, if I disconnect completely in either case I still end up with the same values!

PS: The simple test project that I've made is a VHDL module with an IP Core ICON and VIO.

Please use plain text.
npoureh

Are you using your own USB HOST IP core?

Please use plain text.
Visitor
aobeid

Hi Nasser

I'm simply monitoring interface signals in case if I connect the Mini-USB on the board to a PC and in another case to a USB Stick. And the IP Cores that I'm using are only related to ChipScope i.e. I'm not using any dedicated IP Core for the interface. I'm only reading the interface signals and monitor the change if any.

This interface signal changes (if any) is an important information that will be in used as part of a bigger implementation that isn't directly related to USB IP Cores.

Please use plain text.