Avnet Electronics Marketing - Community Forum

Avnet Inc.  |  Avnet Electronics Marketing

stevecmaher

Can I do a microblaze design with the Webpack?

Its not clear to me from the online docs whether I can do a microblaze design using the included Webpack development tools.  From the Xilinx website it almost seems like I need the Embedded ISE kit, which is $3,300.  Am I reading this wrong?
Please use plain text.
Avnet Employee (Regular Contributor)
hockeyman

Re: Can I do a microblaze design with the Webpack?

The S3A400 board has definitely been included in the WebPack list through ISE/EDK 10.1.3.  I haven't seen a final list for ISE Design Suite 11, but I see no reason why this board would not continue to be supported in WebPack.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mikewhy

Steve, You are correct. The EDK is required for the Microblaze. The EDK also listed separately from the ISE packs for, I think, $400 node locked.

One of the example programs illustrates integrating an EDK project into an ISE project. If WebPack can generate a bitstream containing the EDK netlist without an EDK license, you're good to go. I suspect that it might not, since licensed IPs are involved. However, if it does work, you can make good use of the evaluation license term to generate a few canonical systems to base your designs. Download the WebPack directly from Xilinx and see. You don't even need the board for that test.

All that aside, the device is so small and simple, and the web so rich in OpenCores, I don't see the lack of Microblaze and its peripheral bus as a serious detractor. Even the miniscule PicoBlaze is a good fit for a UART and the small handful of GPIOs.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Riscy

Hi

I just starting the Spartan 3A evaluation kit and downloaded 11.1. I need to be aware if there is chance for me to try out microblaze using EDK without expensive license. will Xilinx start to realise benefit for us to try it out without pocketing out $400, one possible suggestion is to have time & use limited license for say $50 per month, sufficient to experience and understand about the microblaze technology. 

Do I need EDK for PicoBlaze, is there tutorial for this?

R. 

Please use plain text.
Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)
bhfletcher

Xilinx does offer EDK as an eval that will allow you to try it out, but you are correct that you must pay for a license if you want to continue to use EDK beyond the evaluation period.

PicoBlaze is not part of EDK.  It does not require a license.  Avnet doesn't have any PicoBlaze tutorials specifically for this board, but there is a lot of information available from Xilinx at www.xilinx.com/picoblaze

Bryan

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
SDesai

You can not use Webpack for Microblaze or powerpc design. However, you may download a trial version of Xilinx EDK tools to design the same.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Contributor
blipton

If I develop code for a picoblaze (.psm), will that run unmodified on a microblaze if I ever migrate to the edk?     Or are the 2 xilinx cores completely different?

Please use plain text.
Avnet Employee (Star Contributor)
bhfletcher

The two processor cores are completely different.  Picoblaze uses pseudo-assembly code that was custom developed by Xilinx.  MicroBlaze most commonly uses C code.  PicoBlaze is very, very small, and likewise less powerful.  One common use for PicoBlaze is as a state machine replacement.  MicroBlaze is a full featured processor with a bus and multiple peripherals, such as memory, ethernet, SPI, UART, Flash, etc.  PicoBlaze is free; MicroBlaze is not.

Please use plain text.