Avnet Electronics Marketing - Community Forum

Avnet Inc.  |  Avnet Electronics Marketing

Regular Visitor
meakerb

Cannot get the DSP Reference Design Demo to work

I just received the Spartan-6 FPGA DSP Kit. I already had ISE 13.2 on my PC so I just installed the license. Then I went through the steps in the Getting Started Guide (version 4 from the web) to install the co-simulation plug-in for Matlab. When I tried running the DSP Reference Design Demonstration, I get to the step where I'm supposed to "Double-click on the "Point-to-point Ethernet" block to bring up the properties editor." I see no such block. However, I do have a window up that looks like Figure 23 (with the Xilinx System Generator block in there as well). The top of the window looks like Figure 24. If I just press the play button, a window briefly opens up that says something about 'loading JTAG Driver' (I think, it disappears very quickly) and then Matlab and Simulink completely close.

If I start up Impact and do an Initialize chain, I can see the devices on the LX150 board.

I'm running ISE 13.2

Thanks for your help,

Barry

Please use plain text.
Avnet Employee
dsp_support

Re: Cannot get the DSP Reference Design Demo to work

Barry,

1) I need to understand your issue a little better. Specifically, your observations ...

'I get to the step where I'm supposed to "Double-click on the "Point-to-point Ethernet" block to bring up the properties editor." I see no such block.'

'However, I do have a window up that looks like Figure 23'

... are contradictory. The block in the center of Figure 23 is indeed the "Point-to-point Ethernet" block.

Please clarify.

2) Please confirm which versions you have of MATLAB/Simulink. The versions that have been tested with the S6 DSP Kit are here http://www.mathworks.com/xilinx_dspkits

3) Finally, lets confirm that System Generator 13.2 is associated with your MATLAB installation.

At the MATLAB command line, type ...

>> xlVersion

... the response should be :

Available System Generator installations:
   Version 13.2.4054 in C:/Xilinx/13.2/ISE_DS/ISE/sysgen
   Current version of System Generator is 13.2.4054.

If not, then you must run All programs / Xilinx ISE Design Suite 13.2 / System Generator / System Generator MATLAB Configurator to properly install the tools.

regards,

DSP_guy

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
meakerb

Thanks for the reply. Here are answers to your questions:

1)When I run the dspkit_gui.m file, I see the user interface (Figure 22). However, when I press the "Run DSP Reference Design on the Spartan-6 LX150T system board" button, there is a long pause and then the window (Figure 23) pops up. The name on the window is duc_ddc_umts_spartan6_hwcosim (just like Figure 24). But as I said, there is no "Point-to-point Ethernet" block to double click on (step 4), and so I can't save the settings (step 5). The only thing I can do is to click on the play button (also step 5).

2) I'm running Matlab version 7.11.0.584 (R2010b)

The link you provided is for downloading a 30-day evaluation copy of MATLAB/Simulink - not exactly what I want to do.

3) When I run the Matlab command xlVersion, I get the following:

Available System Generator Installations:

Version 13.2.4103 in C:/Xilinx/13.2/ISE_DS/ISE/sysgen

Current version of System Generator is 13.2.4103.

This appears to be a later version that what you indicated ( you had 13.2.4054 in your text), so I didn't run the MATLAB configurator. I can if you think that would help.

Thanks,

Barry

Please use plain text.
Avnet Employee
dsp_support

Your tools appear to be installed correctly. You definitely need to open the "Point-to-point Ethernet" block to set the options for Ethernet hardware co-simulation.

Have you tried launching the 'duc_ddc_umts_spartan6_hwcosim.mdl' model directly, as opposed to launching from dspkit_gui.m ?

If that doesn't work, then please take some screen shots of exactly what you're seeing and include as an attachment.

DSP_guy

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
meakerb

Here are a couple of screen shots, the first is the MATLAB messages that appear when I opened the duc_ddc_umts_spartan6_hwcosim.mdl model. The second is of the model when it opened (I see no "Point-to-point Ethernet" block).

Barry

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
meakerb

Second screen shot:

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
meakerb

I was able to do a screen capture of the message box that appears right before MATLAB/Simulink both close down.

Please use plain text.
Avnet Employee
dsp_support

The DSP kit reference designs are path dependent and must be installed on the computer’s C: drive, as shown in the attached excerpt. The co-simulation block is associated with a bitstream whose path is hard-coded in the block. Unzip the archive to the recommended path, and give it another try.

DSP_guy 

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
meakerb

I unzipped the file spartan6dsp_getting_started_reference_design_13_1.zip to the C: directory, which created the appropriate directory structure. However, I still have the same problem, even when running from the spartan6dsp_getting_started_reference_design/Simulink/Reference_Design/Implementation/Spartan6 directory. I tried adding that Spartan6 directory (and all subfolders) to the path, but that had no effect.

I still don't see a "Point-to-point Ethernet block" (see my Capture2.jpg posting)

and both MATLAB and Simulink close down immediately after trying to load the JTAG driver (see my Capture3.jpg posting).

Barry

Please use plain text.