Avnet Electronics Marketing - Community Forum

Avnet Inc.  |  Avnet Electronics Marketing

Visitor
meakerb

Cannot get the DSP Reference Design Demo to work

I just received the Spartan-6 FPGA DSP Kit. I already had ISE 13.2 on my PC so I just installed the license. Then I went through the steps in the Getting Started Guide (version 4 from the web) to install the co-simulation plug-in for Matlab. When I tried running the DSP Reference Design Demonstration, I get to the step where I'm supposed to "Double-click on the "Point-to-point Ethernet" block to bring up the properties editor." I see no such block. However, I do have a window up that looks like Figure 23 (with the Xilinx System Generator block in there as well). The top of the window looks like Figure 24. If I just press the play button, a window briefly opens up that says something about 'loading JTAG Driver' (I think, it disappears very quickly) and then Matlab and Simulink completely close.

If I start up Impact and do an Initialize chain, I can see the devices on the LX150 board.

I'm running ISE 13.2

Thanks for your help,

Barry

Avnet Employee
dsp_support

Re: Cannot get the DSP Reference Design Demo to work

Barry,

1) I need to understand your issue a little better. Specifically, your observations ...

'I get to the step where I'm supposed to "Double-click on the "Point-to-point Ethernet" block to bring up the properties editor." I see no such block.'

'However, I do have a window up that looks like Figure 23'

... are contradictory. The block in the center of Figure 23 is indeed the "Point-to-point Ethernet" block.

Please clarify.

2) Please confirm which versions you have of MATLAB/Simulink. The versions that have been tested with the S6 DSP Kit are here http://www.mathworks.com/xilinx_dspkits

3) Finally, lets confirm that System Generator 13.2 is associated with your MATLAB installation.

At the MATLAB command line, type ...

>> xlVersion

... the response should be :

Available System Generator installations:
   Version 13.2.4054 in C:/Xilinx/13.2/ISE_DS/ISE/sysgen
   Current version of System Generator is 13.2.4054.

If not, then you must run All programs / Xilinx ISE Design Suite 13.2 / System Generator / System Generator MATLAB Configurator to properly install the tools.

regards,

DSP_guy

Visitor
meakerb

Thanks for the reply. Here are answers to your questions:

1)When I run the dspkit_gui.m file, I see the user interface (Figure 22). However, when I press the "Run DSP Reference Design on the Spartan-6 LX150T system board" button, there is a long pause and then the window (Figure 23) pops up. The name on the window is duc_ddc_umts_spartan6_hwcosim (just like Figure 24). But as I said, there is no "Point-to-point Ethernet" block to double click on (step 4), and so I can't save the settings (step 5). The only thing I can do is to click on the play button (also step 5).

2) I'm running Matlab version 7.11.0.584 (R2010b)

The link you provided is for downloading a 30-day evaluation copy of MATLAB/Simulink - not exactly what I want to do.

3) When I run the Matlab command xlVersion, I get the following:

Available System Generator Installations:

Version 13.2.4103 in C:/Xilinx/13.2/ISE_DS/ISE/sysgen

Current version of System Generator is 13.2.4103.

This appears to be a later version that what you indicated ( you had 13.2.4054 in your text), so I didn't run the MATLAB configurator. I can if you think that would help.

Thanks,

Barry

Avnet Employee
dsp_support

Your tools appear to be installed correctly. You definitely need to open the "Point-to-point Ethernet" block to set the options for Ethernet hardware co-simulation.

Have you tried launching the 'duc_ddc_umts_spartan6_hwcosim.mdl' model directly, as opposed to launching from dspkit_gui.m ?

If that doesn't work, then please take some screen shots of exactly what you're seeing and include as an attachment.

DSP_guy

Visitor
meakerb

Here are a couple of screen shots, the first is the MATLAB messages that appear when I opened the duc_ddc_umts_spartan6_hwcosim.mdl model. The second is of the model when it opened (I see no "Point-to-point Ethernet" block).

Barry

Visitor
meakerb

Second screen shot:

Visitor
meakerb

I was able to do a screen capture of the message box that appears right before MATLAB/Simulink both close down.

Avnet Employee
dsp_support

The DSP kit reference designs are path dependent and must be installed on the computer’s C: drive, as shown in the attached excerpt. The co-simulation block is associated with a bitstream whose path is hard-coded in the block. Unzip the archive to the recommended path, and give it another try.

DSP_guy 

Visitor
meakerb

I unzipped the file spartan6dsp_getting_started_reference_design_13_1.zip to the C: directory, which created the appropriate directory structure. However, I still have the same problem, even when running from the spartan6dsp_getting_started_reference_design/Simulink/Reference_Design/Implementation/Spartan6 directory. I tried adding that Spartan6 directory (and all subfolders) to the path, but that had no effect.

I still don't see a "Point-to-point Ethernet block" (see my Capture2.jpg posting)

and both MATLAB and Simulink close down immediately after trying to load the JTAG driver (see my Capture3.jpg posting).

Barry